photo/Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner
Press Release Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner
ATLANTA – The Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King announced today that a Union County woman was killed and four others were injured in an accidental fire at 545 Vista Circle in Blairsville around 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 22.
The explosion involved a camper being used by an elderly couple as a permanent residence and was the result of a disconnected propane gas line. The explosion occurred when the couple attempted to turn on the gas and ignite the kitchen stove.
“Because of the explosion, the wife received burns on over 90 percent of her body, and the husband also received very severe burns,” said Commissioner King. “Both were airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital. Unfortunately, the wife died over night.”
Three neighbors attempted to rescue the elderly couple from the fire and received lesser burns. One of those neighbors managed to pull the elderly woman from the fire. This primary rescuer was also airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital while the other two neighbors received treatment at a local hospital.
“If it was not for the bravery of these neighbors, both the husband and the wife may not have survived Tuesday’s explosion,” said Commissioner King.
Preliminary investigations performed by Commissioner King’s State Fire Investigations Unit, the Union County Fire Department, and the Union County Sheriff’s Office indicate that the propane gas company followed all proper procedures and is not at fault. Therefore, the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.
The identities of the deceased and the injured are not being released at this time as state and local investigators continue to look into this case. All the authorities involved ask for prayers for the victims and their loved ones. This fatality marks the 61st fire fatality in Georgia this year.